2022 Affordable Housing Advisory Council AppointmentsOctober 01, 2021
The Federal Home Loan Bank’s Board of Directors has appointed a new member to the FHLB's Affordable Housing Advisory Council and reappointed four current members of the Advisory Council. Each member will serve a three-year term, commencing on January 1, 2022. The 13-member Advisory Council guides the FHLB on affordable housing and economic development needs within the Fifth District states of Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee.
- Cheryl L. Stephens, President and Chief Executive Officer, East Akron Neighborhood Development Corporation (EANDC) in Akron, Ohio. EANDC strengthens the communities in which it works by providing affordable housing for all through the development of quality rental housing, practical homeownership opportunities and neighborhood-based revitalization efforts. Ms. Stephens has served as EANDC President and CEO since 2018. Her prior professional experiences have focused in the field of housing and development with organizations like the Cuyahoga County Land Reutilization Corp, the National Development Council and Cuyahoga County.
- Walter B. Crouch, Chief Executive Officer and President, Appalachia Service Project (ASP) in Johnson City, Tenn. ASP provides home repair and replacement in Central Appalachia primarily through the use of volunteers. Mr. Crouch has been in his current role since 2011. His prior experiences include Vice President for Church Relations and Professor at Carson-Newman College, and owner of Crouch Construction Co., West Palm Beach, Fla. Mr. Crouch was first appointed to the Advisory Council in 2019.
- Lori H. Flanery, Chief Executive Officer, New Directions Housing Corp. in Louisville, Ky. New Directions develops and maintains affordable housing and vital communities in partnership with neighborhoods and other stakeholders. Currently, more than 1,000 families live in the nonprofit’s rental housing. Prior to her current position, Ms. Flanery served the Commonwealth of Kentucky as Secretary of Finance and Deputy Director of Kentucky Housing Corp., the state’s housing finance agency. Ms. Flanery holds a law degree from the University of Kentucky College of Law. Ms. Flanery was first appointed to the Advisory Council in 2019.
- Natalie H. Harris, Executive Director, The Coalition for the Homeless Inc. in Louisville, Ky. Ms. Harris has served as Executive Director of The Coalition for the Homeless Inc. since 2010. The Coalition is committed to advocacy, education and collaboration on the issues of homelessness in Louisville. Ms. Harris currently serves as Advisory Council Vice Chair and was first appointed to the Advisory Council in 2016.
- Charles D. Hillman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) in Columbus, Ohio. CMHA helps people access affordable housing through collaborative partnerships to develop, renovate and maintain housing; promote neighborhood revitalization; and assist residents in accessing needed social services. Mr. Hillman’s current tenure with CMHA began in 2010. Prior to that he worked at the Chicago Housing Authority and had previously worked with CMHA from 1998-2005 as the Assistant Director of Property Management. Mr. Hillman was first appointed to the Advisory Council in 2019.
Congratulations to the new and returning members of the Advisory Council and thanks to departing member and former Chairman Jay Kittenbrink for his years of service to the Advisory Council and the affordable housing mission of the FHLB.